UPDATE, March 2022
Two appeals have been submitted with the Administrative Court against the new regulations on dog training in Canton Zurich.
As the appeal proceedings will take some time, the change of the amendments to the Dog Act and the Dog Ordinance as of June 1, 2022 is no longer realistic.
Due to the uncertain duration of the proceedings, no new date can currently be given.
Everything stays as is: When arriving in the canton of Zurich, pooches belonging to breed type I (bigger than 45 cm or heavier than 16 kg), and all dogs that are not considered tiny in stature must undergo mandatory courses. A dog – regardless of size or weight – is only considered to be tiny if both parents can be proven to be tiny.
UPDATE, January 2022
– New law will come into force on June 1, 2022 for all dogs from tiny to giant breeds.
– Anyone who is resident in a Zurich municipality and keeps a dog for at least three months is obliged to attend the theoretical and practical dog training.
– The theoretical training must be attended at the earliest one year before and at the latest two months after starting to keep dogs or moving into the canton.
– The theoretical training is completed with an examination.
– Practical dog training begins at the earliest after the dog has reached the age of six months.
– It must be completed twelve months after the start of dog ownership or after moving to the canton.
– The practical dog training must include six lessons of 60 minutes each.
– Only one lesson per week is allowed.
– The instructor keeps a record of the achievement of the learning objectives. If these could not be achieved after six lessons, further lessons are to be attended.
– If an instructor decides that the theoretical or practical dog training has not been successfully completed, the dog owner may request verification by the veterinary office.
UPDATE, November 2021
The change of the law will not happen before April 1, 2022.
UPDATE, summer 2021
Starting January 1, 2022 the law will change the mandatory training not only for big dogs, but for all dogs, living in canton Zurich:
§ 7. 1 Anyone who keeps a dog must attend a recognized practical dog training with the dog.
§ 7. 2 Every first time dog owner must also attend a recognized theoretical dog training course.
UPDATE, February 10, 2019
The voters of canton Zurich decided to keep mandatory dog training.
When arriving in the canton of Zurich, pooches belonging to breed type I (bigger than 45 cm or heavier than 16 kg) need to visit different classes, depending on fido’s age.